Ottawa, Sandusky, Seneca Solid Waste Management District
• (2) pair of disposable gloves, to be worn when picking up litter
• (2) bags (blue for recycling, orange for trash)
• Data card
• How-to guide (printed on envelope)
Safety is the number one priority of any cleanup performed. Please review the following tips. This list is not all inclusive, however, is listed to help keep you safe while cleaning any area.
Recommended Areas To Clean:
• Around your home or residential neighborhood.
• At your local parks, trails or school grounds.
• Public spaces with sidewalks / low volume traffic.
Without proper hi-vis clothing or vests, and signage it is highly recommended to stay away from high volume traffic areas with little to no visibility (roadways with hills, curves, obstructions, etc.).
• Do not pick up unknown or hazardous materials such as broken glass.
• If traffic is a factor while cleaning along a street or roadway:
– Be ALERT at all times.
– Face oncoming traffic.
– Do not enter a roadway or cross travel lanes to pick up litter.
– Do not horseplay or demonstrate actions of disruptive behavior, distracting drivers.
• Do not wear headsets or Bluetooth devices that could impair hearing.
• If you find hazardous materials (ex. – syringes), items with a chemical odor or an illegal dumping site, contact your local law enforcement office.
• Use common sense. If in doubt, act safely.
• Wear safety gloves provided in this kit.
• Be alert of poisonous plants, stinging insects or stray/wild animals.
• Perform a cleanup during daylight hours, when weather is conducive and visibility is good.
Recyclable items include:
• Aluminum cans
• Glass bottles & jars
• Plastic bottles (pop/water bottles)
These items are the most common recyclables found on the ground. Place recyclables in your curbside recycling container at home or your local township Aim to Be Green recycling drop-off site.
Click on: A2BG to view a listing of sites from our FAQ’s page. Please do not recycle materials covered in mud, debris or full of liquid.
Trash items may include:
• Cigarette butts / plastic filters • Plastic grocery bags
• EPS block / foam packaging • Plastic Lids
• Foam take-out containers • Plastic take-out containers
• Food wrappers • Straws / stirrers
These items are the most common trash items found on the ground. They can be thrown away in your regular trash at home.
Click on: Cleanup Data Form to submit your cleanup collection information.
All the tools you need to organize your own cleanup anywhere, anytime. Share your DIY cleanup pics with us on our OSS Facebook page and OSS Twitter. Be sure to include #OSSCOMMUNITYCLEANUP.